Saturday, May 14, 2011

...and so it begins.

Well to start this off let me introduce myself.
My name is Caitlin and I am a senior in college majoring in Anthropology and Sociology. I love culture and society; both observing and analyzing each, understanding more and more about human social life as I continue my educational journey (which will most likely be a very, very long journey). I am a complete nerd for culture. My friends chide me constantly for people-watching when I should be participating, I am addicted to the NatGeo, Travel and History channels and I will read any ethnography I can get my little paws on.

In fact, the only thing I probably love more than culture is food. But this works out for me because I believe food is one of the most important products and displays of culture that there is. Food is a product of the someones background, history, social position, religion, etc. etc. etc. What food all boils down to (excuse the pun) is who made it, what it's made of, where you're eating it, who you're eating it with and when you eat it. I aspire to be Anthony Bourdain and travel the world experiencing a plethora of different cultures and tasting all of their unique, delicious food products.

All this being said, I am choosing to spend my summer emulating the methods of my hero (Mr. Bourdain) by travelling all over the lovely city of Baltimore, my home town, experiencing all the endless combinations of cultures and the delicious delicacies Charm City has to offer. I have a list (found on the BaltimoreSun.com) of "100 Things a Baltimore Foodie Must Try" [here's the article]. I plan on experiencing everything on the list and making each experience a "mini" ethnographic study to post on this blog. Along the way I will use informants, interview folks, use historical/social analysis and statistical data, post small surveys on my Facebook and, most importantly, be a participant observer (i.e. Eat. A lot. As well as participate in multiple cultural activities associated with said foods).

Lastly, Baltimore is a beautiful and eclectic city full of history that has a complex socioeconomic structure and a multitude of cultural influences. All of these aspects influence food and culture in the city.

Each blog entry will be about a separate food experience, relating to the history, culture and social structure of the city. I will post recipes, fun facts and anthropological terms (italicized) so my readers can learn a little ANTH101.

Check back for my first entry, COMING SOON! Ta ta for now :]


TERMS: (found on the interwebz)

Anthropology: the study of humankind across space and time

Sociology: the study of the development, structure, and functioning of human society

culture: the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group

society: a part of a community that is a unit distinguishable by particular aims or standards of living or conduct; a social circle or a group of social circles having a clearly marked identity

ethnography: a scientific research strategy employed primarily by social scientists to collect data used to describe the nature of those who are studied through writing

informants: a person who provides privileged information about a person or organization to an agency

participant observer: a person who simultaneously participates in group activities and observes the group process at the same time

No comments:

Post a Comment