Wednesday, May 25, 2011

#77. Italian cold cut sub at Pastore's in Towson

...I have found God in between two slices of Italian bread.

     This morning, while eating some of the nastiest scrambled eggs I have ever had (at a certain alumna breakfast) at 8 am, I thought to myself, “…man, I would really love an Italian cold cut.” My brain does funny things to me that early. So I whipped out my handy-dandy blog list and scanned it. Bingo. Pastore’s Italian Delly in Towson.

Pastore's Italian Delly today, at Loch Raven & Joppa.


      Pastore’s has a really interesting history in Baltimore as a family legacy. Vincent Garofalo, a sculptor, immigrated to America and arrived in the Port of Baltimore. Baltimore was one of the nation’s fastest growing cities; the rapid growth of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad not only provided quick transportation to the Midwest, but work opportunities for thousands. Construction of many houses, buildings and roads throughout the city also required a constant source of laborers, found often in the immigrant population which was practically streaming from ships onto the streets of Baltimore. During periods of mass immigration, Baltimore started to transform into the extraordinarily diverse city it is. Immigrant communities sprung up all over the city, such as Greektown (along Eastern Ave. in what is now Dundalk), the Ukrainian neighborhoods in Canton, the Czech neighborhoods in Fells Point, and the Italians who formed “Little Italy” between Fells point and the Inner Harbor. As these immigrant communities grew, so did the desire for a "taste of home;" ethnic groceries and restaurants sprung up all over the city, to the delight of immigrants and non-immigrants alike.


Vincent Garofalo traveled to America in search of a better life for his family.     But back to Vincent Garofalo… Vincent immigrated to Baltimore and noticed the high demand for Italian products, especially food, from individuals and restaurants alike. The Garofalos started up an Italian grocery, selling imported meats, cheeses produce (lemons, olives…), etc. as well as freshly baked Italian breads. Vincent proved himself to be an artist in the kitchen as well as the studio. After Vincent Garofalo established a successful business, he decided to retire and split the business in two and gave half to each of his two daughters and their husbands: one daughter would take charge of the produce business and the other daughter, Mary Pastore, would exclusively sell Italian foods with her husband Frank Pastore. The business kept growing and eventually Frank and Mary would split the business yet again into a wholesaling company, to be taken over by their son Mike, and a retail and deli location to be managed by their son Vince; both businesses are still very successful. In 1979 the business was moved to its current location in Towson. Vince Pastore’s son, Vince, is the current owner. The store still imports authentic Italian food and products and, to my understanding, most of the items available on their extensive menu (seen HERE) are homemade.


2297509910_ORIG.jpeg
     After work, I hitched a ride to the corner of Loch Raven Blvd. and East Joppa Road with my cousin Annie, making another appearance, who had to pick up her brother (and my other cousin) Denny from Calvert Hall. Pastore’s Delly is a small and unassuming storefront barely visible from the intersection. The inside, though, is a spectacular wonderland of imported Italian goods and delicacies, with a huge deli counter in the back. I asked the guy behind the counter what their best sandwich was. He explained to me that their most popular sandwich was “The Gonzo,” the stores version of the well-known Italian cold-cut.


"The Gonzo"
$14.95
Selected Italian cold cuts piled high on a whole loaf of Italian bread with your choice of condiments!
1/2 Gonzo
$7.95


     I was starving, so naturally I told the guy I was all over the Gonzo. He asked if I wanted a ½ Gonzo. I shot him a look that said “…do you want me to smack you?” (everyone knows which one) and sweetly told him no, I’ll take the whole thing. I grabbed two pepper-shooters (a cherry pepper stuffed with prosciutto and mozzarella, marinated in spices and olive oil) for good measure and headed home, drooling all the way back. After a four mile run to clear my mind (and my conscience), I dug into the sub. Here is a before and after picture. It's like Jared from subway, only the sub got smaller and I got bigger.


       The sub was a delicious combination of imported, fresh Italian deli meats and cheeses, pepper, lettuce, tomato, mayo, onions, hots, olives, oil and vinegar. The bread was fresh, obviously home-made and, what I consider, a perfect loaf of Italian bread: hard and crusty on the outside, soft, thick and doughy on the inside. When I picked up a piece of the sub to take my first bite, the bread crunched satisfyingly and an oily, olive-y mixture oozed out. Perfect. It was honestly the very best Italian sub I have ever had.


2297510552_ORIG.jpeg Pastore’s is an exemplary example of a family business, founded in Baltimore in the heyday of Italian immigration to the city, that still provides the same fantastic and authentic products with the same family business atmosphere. The store displays an obvious pride for its Italian heritage as well as its Baltimore pride and heritage; the article from the Baltimore Sun that my blog list was featured in is actually taped to their wall, a great point of pride for anyone that you talk to in the store. Pastore’s is a gem to the Baltimore cultural scene, because it provides a glimpse back in time with its very existence to a diverse city that craved, and still craves, delicious Italian-American specialties. 




References:


Recipes:

This is a great and easy recipe for tiramisutiramisu at Pastore's definitely looked delicious and I need to try it out next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment